Sunday, August 30, 2009

Amersterdam

The trip to Amsterdam was great. It started out a little shaky. We were picked up by this little "shuttle" bus, not realzing they were taking us to a bigger "luxury" bus. The trip was about 3 hours and we were all thinking "this is not what we paid for". Pleasantly, we transferred to a comfortable bus and started on the journey. We made a planned but unnecessary stop for bathroom and "snacks". Then we made another planned stop at a small cheese and wooden shoe place, in a residence, which was rather quaint. They showed us the cheese making process (the place stunk - and I was NOT the only one who thought so), then on to their "gift shop". We then proceeded into Amsterdam, passing beautiful windmills and very old buildings, many from the 15th and 16th centuries - of course I have a few photos. We then hopped on a canal cruise, but much to my dismay, it was covered in "plexiglass" - not suitable for photography. I eventually eased my way through the crowded boat up to the front next to our "captain". I sat on some steps where I had a clear view of all the magnificent buildings. Had I not made this move, I would have had no photos!!!

After touring the canals, we had about 2 hours to enjoy the heartbeat of Amsterdam. I paired up with Pierre-Luc, from Canada - he was a super nice guy - reminded me of my cousin - Peter Tomlinson!! We had lunch together and then ventured into the "red light" district - inquiring minds!!! I was able to snap a few shots of what we were told NOT to do, but I just had to do it! We really didn't have much time to see all that Amsterdam has to offer, but saw enough - I think the ONLY reason I'd go back is to see the gorgeous men Amsterdam has to offer!!

We headed back to Belgium and I plan to sort of take it easy today. There is a Bascilla I've seen off in the distance, so that may be my destination today.

Happy Birthday to my mom - 85!!! I love you!!!

Julie

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Amsterdam sounds like the kind of place I would like to visit ONCE! I am living vicariously through you!I forwarded some e-mails to you from Dixie regarding Paris hotels. Mom is leaving today to go to England for twelve days.

    ReplyDelete