Thursday, August 20, 2009

Raining in Belgium

I had to work late tonight because I overslept this morning. I did NOT sleep the night before, so I tried my RX. The first one to relax, didn't work, so I took the Ambien, turned off my phone and went to sleep. I awoke to the unit phone ringing, it was my co-worker, it was 8:25, we are due in the office at 8:30!! I had to shower and get dressed, arrived around 9:15!!! I was embarrassed, but I slept. As I was preparing to leave the embassy, heard the sound of thunder, it is now POURING rain, hail, lightening, so I'm going to stay here for a bit. My co-worker is also still here, so we'll go together. Hopefully one of the permanent folks here who have a car can drive us back as it's about a 10-15 min walk, but it truly is pouring.

I have walked so much, I need another notch on my belt, have run out of notches!!! Went to the "square" last night (where all the tourists go) and had dinner with Kyriaskos. The service is very slow here, so dinners usually take up to 3 hours. We didn't head back to the apartment until after 10 pm, and I still had laundry to do. I may reconsider about moving, the apartment (sparse as it is) is very close to the embassy and now I know how to get to the square much quicker. They offer free laundry services and I have a kitchen, so I'm saving quite a bit of money, so I may just stay put.

It's very different here, but that's what makes the world go round. Kyriaskos and I may go and tour and old castle on Saturday - it's free! Not much here is free, or COLD. You all know how I am about my ICE cold water, well...... But they do have HEINZ catstup in places - YEAH!!!

I may go to Amsterdam next weekend, going to stay local this weekend and get better acclimated with where I am. The bus to Amsterdam is only about $40 and I can do it in a day, rather than paying for overnight expenses.

I miss everyone - please write!
Julie

1 comment:

  1. live like a european while you are there! sans ice! :)

    carmen.

    ReplyDelete